Keyword research is the cornerstone of successful App Store Optimisation (ASO). Choosing the right keywords can significantly impact your app’s visibility and reach in the crowded app marketplace. In this article, we’ll explore the importance of keyword research and how to do it effectively.
Why Keyword Research Matters
Understanding the search terms that potential users use when looking for apps similar to yours is vital. It helps you optimize your app’s listing to match those search queries, making it more likely to appear in relevant search results.
1. Start with Seed Keywords
Begin your keyword research by identifying seed keywords related to your app’s core functionality. These are the most basic and essential keywords that describe what your app does. For example, if you have a fitness app, your seed keywords could be “fitness,” “exercise,” and “workout.”
2. Analyze Competitor Keywords
One effective way to discover relevant keywords is by analysing your competitors. Look at apps similar to yours and check which keywords they are targeting. You can use various ASO tools to help with this research.
Identify the keywords that successful apps in your niche are ranking for. However, don’t just copy their keywords blindly. Use this information to find potential gaps and opportunities in your own keyword strategy.
3. Long-Tail Keywords
Long-tail keywords are longer and more specific keyword phrases that potential users might search for. While they have lower search volumes, they often have higher conversion rates because they match user intent more precisely. For example, instead of targeting “fitness app,” you could use “home workouts for beginners.” This also works well when those ASO keywords are in your reviews.
Tools for Keyword Research
Several tools can help you in your keyword research journey. These tools provide valuable insights into keyword popularity, competitiveness, and related terms.
- Google Keyword Planner: This free tool by Google provides keyword ideas, search volume data, and competition levels.
- App Store Analytics: Use analytics platforms specific to app stores to monitor keyword performance and user behaviour.
- ASO Tools: There are various ASO tools available, such as App Annie, Sensor Tower, and Mobile Action, which offer in-depth keyword research capabilities.
By using these tools, you can gather a comprehensive list of relevant keywords for your app.
Once you’ve identified a list of relevant keywords, it’s time to optimise your app’s listing:
- App Title: Incorporate the most important and relevant keywords into your app’s title and description. Ensure it remains concise and user-friendly.
- App Description: Use the keywords naturally within the description, highlighting your app’s key features and benefits.
- Keyword Field (iOS) or Short Description (Android): These sections allow you to explicitly include relevant keywords.
- App Tags (iOS): Choose tags that align with your keywords and app’s core features.
Effective ASO strategies can significantly boost your app’s visibility. Through thorough keyword research and strategic optimisation, your app can stand out in the competitive app marketplace.
Keyword research is an ongoing process. As user preferences and search trends evolve, you must stay updated and adapt your keyword strategy accordingly. Regularly monitor the performance of your chosen keywords and make adjustments as needed to improve your app’s visibility and downloads.
By following these steps and keeping an eye on your app’s analytics, you’ll be well on your way to optimising your app’s visibility through effective keyword research for ASO.